Fortian, a Maryland Small Business founded in 2003, is 100% employee owned and operated. We're experts in embedded design, systems programming, UNIX and Linux system administration, and network engineering.
We’re SAM registered, with CAGE code 41DK2. All of our employees are U.S. citizens and have previously passed Position of Public Trust background checks (or better).
Fortian is also a co-recipient of DARPA Coin #1374 for our key contributions as part of the FCS C Team, and our senior engineers have personally received challenge coins for outstanding performance on multiple Department of Defense research projects.
Each of our senior engineers has more than 20 years of full-stack experience with every part of modern IT operations:
- Systems and embedded programming in a diverse set of languages
- UNIX/Linux system administration
Examples: AIX; FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD; Solaris, SunOS; CentOS, Debian, Fedora, Red Hat, Slackware, Ubuntu
- Network engineering, including in data centers and on enterprise networks, MANETs, and Tier–1 backbones with hundreds of thousands of interfaces
- Steamfitted and industry standard tools, daemons, applications, and systems management interfaces
Our engineers are especially proficient with:
- Green field and/or bare metal data center installs: HVAC & power planning, systems specification, topology design, access control, field engineering, and disaster recovery
- Automated repeatable scalable OS deployment, in data centers, field sites, peering points, and testbeds
Examples: Atmosphere Datacenter, cfengine, Jumpstart, Kickstart, rdist, rsync
- Core system and network protocol infrastructure
Examples: DHCP, DNS, FTP, HTTP, IMAP, Kerberos, LDAP, NTP, POP/POP3, RADIUS, SMTP, SNMP, SSH; secure/SSL/TLS variants as appropriate
- Service & daemon configuration, monitoring, high availability, scalability, and reliability
Examples: Apache HTTPD, FreeRADIUS, GPSD, iptables (plus ebtables, NetFilter), iPerf/Netperf, ISC BIND, ISC DHCPD, MRTG/RRDTool, MySQL/MariaDB, NAGIOS, NOCOL/SNIPS, NTPd (plus PTPd, TimeKeeper), OpenSNMP, OpenSSH, OpenSSL, OpenVPN, PostgreSQL, SELinux (plus AppArmor, auditd), Sendmail, SQLite, Tundra, ZeroK
- Back-end, middleware, and front-end development for: dynamic websites; in-browser applications; data collection, warehousing, storage, analysis, and retrieval
- Embedded and mobile/wearable hardware/firmware/software design, including P/LI recording, system telemetry. and disconnected/reconnected operations
- Emulation, simulation, virtualization, and visualization
Examples: chrooted applications, containers (plus namespaces, slices, zones); CORE, MGEN, RAPR, XMANE (plus EMANE, MANE); Amazon EC2 instances, KVM, VMWare, Xen; GNUPlot, MatLab, Octave, R, Scenario Daemon, SDT/SDT3D, World Wind
- Ongoing maintenance, support, and improvement of existing customer platforms